Thursday 12 January 2017

Global Game Jam 2017 Approaches!

Last year I went to Global Game Jam in Melbourne, and had an amazing experience. I created two games as a part of a team of four, and we had ridiculous amounts of fun doing it.
(Image from Global Game Jam.)
This year, between Friday the 20th and Sunday the 22nd, I want to do something different. I want to do something really difficult.

I don't know the theme (yet, obviously, and I won't be posting about it until Hawaii Jams too), and I don't have a team (yet: if the following sounds good to you, and you're in Melbourne, HIT ME UP!)

What I do have, is ambition. I want to create a roleplaying game that takes no more than 15 minutes to play (including character creation, if any) that covers at least half of the following diversifiers (sort of like mini achievements that make the games more intriguing): 
  • Don’t say a word (ESA Sponsored)
    • A multiplayer game that requires communication between players, without relying on text or voice.
  • Local Lore
    • Incorporate a local urban legend, myth, lore, or history into your game.
  • Game Legacy 
    • Each playthrough of the game affects the next.
  • Crowd Control
    • Your game must be played by 8 or more players.
  • Time Lord
    • Your game offers variations based on the time of day it is played.
  • To me, to you
    • The game must have a single playable character that is controlled by two players.
I also want to follow this Accessibility guide, and tick every single box (except for those which are not applicable because it's not going to be digital, but will be supplied in a PDF, so maybe I can do some of them?).
(Image from accessibility.blog.gov.uk.)

If I smash through the above guide, I then want to start moving through this Accessibility guide, again, going from Basic to Advanced as time allows, and where applicable.

Can it be done? I guess I have 48 hours to find out...

Once the game is done, I'll share it for free here for anyone to use and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment