Sunday 2 October 2016

This Week: Do or Dice, Updates, & Icelanders!

Welcome to This Week, a weekly series where I discuss all the gaming (both video and tabletop) content I've played, made, prepped, run and seen that's cool this week.

This week's This Week marks the 5th edition of this particular series, and I have to say thus far it's been going swimmingly! I'm enjoying the drive to write each week, and I'm finding it demanding enough that I an encouraged to do it, but not so difficult that it's a chore. What's more, I'm finding myself writing the posts well in advance, and adding to them as the week goes on (for instance, I wrote this little bit on the 26th!)

Feedback has also been very positive! People have enjoyed hearing how things are progressing, and the follow-up nature of the posts.

Sadly, this week I've been quite busy! I haven't had much time to play, or make games, so it's a little light. Anyway, let's jump in with what I've done This Week...

What I've Made

As you may have seen already, I posted up the first "snippet" for a future release of mine. I've been writing a roleplaying game system for some time now, called Do or Dice which I intend to release in the new year (though specifics are somewhat up in the air). The system is "generic-ish" - like Fate Core, it can be used to model many things, but they all have a central tone. In this case, imagine if Moldvay/BECMI-style Dungeons & Dragons was revived but built using bits of Fate Core, Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark).
(Image from William McAusland, used with permission.)
I want to release a default setting for the game, so that you can pick it up and play without having to do some serious world building first. I might even end up releasing multiple settings for it, who knows? But the first of them will be Ameshirel: A World Reforged. This setting is going to be teased more and more with snippets like this week's over the coming months (I'm aiming at one snippet a week). I really hope you enjoy them!

Work also goes full steam ahead on Slugball, Sorcery & Secrets! which should be ready for release soon. It's going to be free, and (I hope) a lot of fun! Watch this space for more news on that front. If you don't know what SSS is, it's a silly little game I wrote because no other system perfectly captured what I wanted - which was teenage wizards in a Warhammer/Discworld-like setting solving crimes between classes, and playing in a weekly "wizard" sports league... So, it's basically Harry Potter meets Discworld meets weekend Rugby... Just go with it, ok?!

What I've Heard

Finally, I'm getting ready to run a game of Sagas of the Icelanders in a month or so, so I am going through the rulebook with a fine-toothed comb. This will be the first time I've ever run the game, and I intend it to be something of a weekend - we'll start on a Friday afternoon, and go through to Saturday. I'm intending to light a bonfire, cook some of the recipes in the book and serve them, maybe even encourage a bit of Nordic dress-up.
(Image from Worm Gear)
I'm also intending to play some music, which leads me to VĂ li - a Norwegian Neofolk artist who makes amazing acoustic pieces that just perfectly fit with the game. They have two albums released: Forlatt and Skogslandskap - both of which beautiful to listen to. I encourage you to listen, and then purchase them both!

That's all for This Week this week. I'll talk to you next week, and tell you of all my adventures again! In the mean time, fill your own week with as much awesome as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment